A variable point back promotion is a reusable promotion used to issue a variable amount of points to eligible members. This amount is calculated per member based on a multiplier of a configurable type of previous activity. For example, members can be issued a point-based transaction equivalent to double the amount of retail value earned via general merchandise purchases in 2010. Once configured, the promotion can be manually executed or set to Auto Execute at select intervals, detailed in the Managing a Variable Point Back Promotion section below. Negative transactions will not be issued.
Main Article: Transaction Type
A relevant transaction type that is controlled with promotional settings is necessary to award points through this promotion.
A new promotion is created by clicking the "Add" link at the top of the page (located at Promotions / Batch Promotions / Variable Point Back Promotion). Alternately, an existing promotion can be modified by clicking the "Edit" link within the grid for the associated promotion. Modifying existing promotions does not affect transactions that have already been issued. The first two parameters, name and description, are used for internal reference.
- Transaction Type - The type of transaction that will be issued for the point bonus.
- Calculate Point Back Amount Off Sum of - Whether the final point amount will be based on the cumulative retail value or cumulative total point amount (includes bonus points).
- Point Back Multiplier - The multiplier that will be applied to the final sum when calculating the final bonus amount. This is entered as a number, not as a percentage. If an extra 100% is desired, an entry of 1 for this parameter is appropriate.
- Issue Zero Point Transactions - If this is enabled, the promotion will issue transactions if the resulting math for a qualifying member results in a 0-point calculation.
- Auto Execute - If enabled, promotion will run during the daily promotional process at the defined interval. Options available are:
- Do Not Auto Execute
- Auto Execute Daily
- Auto Execute Weekly
- Auto Execute Monthly
- Member Issue Limit - If enabled, member will be limited from receiving transactions.
- Descriptors/Groups - Only transactions matching the specified descriptors and selected group(s) will be considered when calculating the final bonus amount. Please note, the product item descriptor is used for transaction-level filtering -- if a transaction matches as a result, the entire transaction will be considered for a bonus.
- Eligible Members - The eligible member tree is used to specify who will receive the bonus upon execution. A member only needs to be a part of one of the selected segment(s) and/or club(s) to be eligible.
After saving, the promotion will be available for execution. Only after manual or auto execution will the bonus transactions be issued.
From the main grid, click "Executions" to reach the execution page. When on the execution view page, click the "Execute" link in the upper-left of the page to reach the final execution page.
- Activity Date Range - Only qualifying transactions that have an activity timestamp within the specified date range will be used when calculating the final bonus amount.
When complete, click the "Save" button. The process will be scheduled and transactions will begin issuing.
Past instances of promotion executions can be viewed by clicking the "Executions" link for the associated promotion.